Friday 19 December 2008

Coquitos - Coconut Macaroons

I've been baking and cooking a lot lately. Also taking lots of photos. Both are very addictive. :)
Today couldn't be any different :)

Yesterday whilst looking at pictures on Flickr, I ran across some really pretty cookies made by Karen. They were Scottish shortbread and had been piped, and had a glace cherry on top.
They reminded me of the coquitos (coconut macaroons) I used to have in Uruguay when I was a child. Last night I was on a mission to find a recipe, but I wanted a Uruguayan one. And I found this one. It's in Spanish, but basically the ingredients are

6 egg yolks
150 g dessicated coconut
150 g sugar
50 g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence

You basically mix all the ingredients and form the mix into balls which you roll on the icing sugar.
I don't like to use just yolks when i have no plans for the whites, so I set upon doing my own thing following the list of ingredients. So this is what I used

COCONUT MACAROONS
Ingredients
4 large eggs
250 g dessicated coconut
200 g white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbs water (optional)
Method
Pre heat your oven to 180 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. If your paste is too thick to pipe with a large piping tip, then add the water, and keep adding one tablespoon of water at a time until you get a consistency you can pipe. If your eggs are extra large, you may not need the extra water.
Bake in a medium to hot oven for 30 minutes or until done.
YUM YUM, i love these...
I don't remember ever having made them before, but they are so easy, i will surely make them again ;)

2 comments:

cakebaker_cakemaker said...

Nati the Uruguayan recipe is unusual in that you roll the macaroons in icing sugar...definitely going to try that...thanks for the mention ...:O))

feasting-on-pixels (terrie) said...

I just want to say merci beaucoup for your inspiration and support of my new blog this past year.

I wish you and your loved ones, a sparkling 2009, filled with love,
happiness, joy and good health...!
Bisous
xxx
Une bonne nouvelle année...!
Happy New Year, my fellow foodie friend.