Wednesday 15 July 2009

Scones, yummy, moist delicious scones....

I have spent the great majority of my life not being able to make scones. I can make all sorts of cupcakes and cakes, but scones?? Nope. They mock me, they hate me, they turn out like rocks.

Last Saturday my nephew was over and asked me if I had made the scones from Master Chef. Of course I hadn't, I suck at making scones. But Paul wanted to eat scones, so I decided to try again, for the gazillionth time. I took a look at the Master Chef recipe and it just didn't call out to me to make it. I decided to turn to Google to find a recipe.

I found this recipe. It looked so easy, there were great reviews about it. So it had to work right??

Problem was that I had no lemonade and no self raising flour. But decided to try it anyway. So I used these ingredients instead.

Easy Peasy Scones
3 cups of plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
3 tbs sugar dissolved in the juice of half a lemon
Enough mineral water added to the above mix to make one cup
1 cup of thickened cream

Sift flour and baking powder and place in a bowl. Make a well in the center.
Pour mineral water mixed with lemon mix and thickened cream into the flour, and mix with a flat knife until it all comes together. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead just enough till it comes together. Roll out to about 3cm thickness (1 inch) and cut with a floured cutter.
Bake for 10-12 minutes in a hot oven (200 degrees)

We ate a couple of these each hot out of the oven. They were delicious!!!

I decided to try them a few days later as savory scones. YUM!!

Cheese & Chive Scones
100gms of grated Parmesan
3 tbs dry chives
3 cups of self raising flour
1 cup of mineral water (not flat)
1 cup of thickened cream
Pinch of salt
Mix flour, salt, chives and cheese together, make a well in the center. Same as previous recipe.










Chocolate Chip Scones
3 cups self raising flour
100gms of chocolate chopped coarsely
60gms of unsweetened cocoa
60gms of caster sugar
3 tbs Frangelico
1 cup cream
1 cup lemonade
Mix all dry ingredients together, then process as previous recipes.

These are not too sweet and have a beautiful texture!!!! YUMMY YUMMY!!!


This recipe can be modified easily to make all different flavors. WOOHOOOO I CAN MAKE SCONES!!!!! The curse has been lifted. YAY!!!!

No comments: