There was one vegetarian girl on the show last year and she was quickly outed. From what I've seen there are no vegetarians on the show at all this year.
Anyway so I got to thinking about vegetarian cooking in general and all these ingredients came into mind and I decided to make these.
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
500gms firm tofu (I used Pureland Organic Tofu)
1 small bunch of chives
1/4 cup chopped parsley
100gms fresh shitake mushrooms
3 tablespoons of potato flour
1 clove of garlic (minced)
salt to taste
For the sauce
1 750ml Provista Sugo Classica
2 medium onions sliced
4 baby red capsicums sliced
1 tbs dried thyme
1 medium green chili sliced
3 bay leaves
2 cups of water
salt to taste
Parmesan cheese to serve.
To make the albondigas
- Saute mushrooms in olive oil, then set aside to cool.
- Chop half of the tofu and set aside. Put the other half in the food processor.
- Add chopped chives, garlic, parsley, egg, flour and salt. Process to a paste.
- Add mushrooms and process, make sure that mushrooms are still in pieces.
- Add chopped tofu and process, leaving chunks of tofu.
- Form into balls and set aside.
To make the sauce
- Saute onion and capsicums in a heavy pan until collapsed.
- Add sugo and water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add salt to taste, chopped chili, bay leaves and thyme.
- Slowly and carefully add the albondigas into the sauce (do no stir).
- Simmer covered for 20 minutes, serve with brown rice and sprinkle with chopped parsley or Parmesan cheese.